Pacific Northwest Regional News Editor
The Pacific Northwest Regional News Editor is a passionate, ethical journalist and hands-on professional who participates in the team’s planning processes, ensuring its short- and long-term execution, and leads our efforts to report on, curate and share the nation’s most relevant daily and enterprise news content across multiple platforms in Pacific Northwest states. We are a daily newswire service that covers state government, statewide and metro news with a taxpayer’s sensibility.
- Supervise 2-3 staff reporters and 2-3 freelance journalists, manage planning of coverage, write and edit daily news stories and post to TheCenterSquare.com
- Report on state government activity, monitor legislative and policy developments that affect the region, and use public records and databases to ferret out waste, fraud and abuse
- Recruit staff reporters and freelance journalists to help cover the region; assign stories to freelance journalists, and edit stories
- Promote The Center Square stories to local and regional media partners in the states
- Cultivate trusted sources to provide leads on potential stories, including those inside and outside government, think tanks, academia, unions and the business community
- Monitor the state media landscape to identify popular topics and potential media partners
- 5% travel within Washington state
- Passionate about The Center Square’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Background in journalism or journalistic functions
- 4-5 years of journalism experience, including reporting and editing for print, web, radio, and/or television
- Supervising experience is preferred
- Strong written, investigative, editing and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with legislative policy issues
- Ability to uncover original stories and break them
- Entrepreneurial approach and ability to work independently
- Excellent, proactive communicator
- Demonstrated understanding of planning and budgeting processes
- Ability to travel on an as-needed basis, including regionally when called upon
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF file:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in the Center’s Square mission and your salary requirements
Applications should be submitted to Talent Market via this link: talentmarket.org/apply-for-your-dream-job/.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted on our site until it is filled.
Questions can be directed to Katelynn Barbosa, Talent Engagement Manager of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: email@example.com.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. Only direct applications will be considered. No phone calls, please.
The Center Square is seeking freelance journalists to cover state government and statewide issues from a taxpayer's perspective in states across the country, including Ohio, Massachusetts, Maryland, Alabama and elsewhere.
We're looking for individuals who have government reporting experience, and a strong interest and understanding of public policy and how policy decisions in state capitals affect taxpayers back home.
The Center Square covers government from a taxpayers’ perspective, not from government’s perspective. We hold government officials accountable for their actions and decisions, and inform our readers how those decisions affect them.
The media industry in the U.S. is shrinking, leaving fewer options for readers to digest the decisions made by their state and local government officials. The Center Square, the state-focused reporting division of the non-partisan, non-profit Franklin News Foundation, seeks to fill this journalistic void.
To apply, please send resume and writing samples Dan McCaleb, executive editor, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.