For Hire: Missouri senior reporter
The Center Square is seeking a highly motivated, experienced senior reporter to lead our taxpayer-focused coverage of state government and statewide issues in Missouri. We're looking for someone who has both editing and government reporting experience, and a strong interest and understanding of politics and public policy. The Center Square covers government from a taxpayers’ perspective, not from government’s perspective. We hold government officials accountable for their actions and decisions, and inform our readers how those decisions affect them.
The media industry in the U.S. is shrinking, leaving fewer options for readers to digest the decisions made by their state and local government officials. The Center Square, the state-focused reporting division of the non-partisan, non-profit Franklin News Foundation, seeks to fill this journalistic void in Missouri.
This key role will be joining other state news operations as we expand our impact in the states.
- Report on state government activity, monitor legislative and policy developments that affect the region, and use public records and databases to ferret out waste, fraud and abuse.
- Recruit freelance reporters, assign stories to freelance journalists, and edit stories.
- Promote The Center Square stories to local and regional media partners in the states.
- Cultivate trusted sources to provide leads on potential stories, including those inside and outside government, think tanks, academia, and the business community.
- Monitor the state media landscape to identify popular topics and potential media partners.
- Have excellent writing and research abilities, and adhere to Associated Press style.
- Take direction well, and have the ability to work remotely.
- Look beyond government-mandated press releases and reports to determine the real impact of policy on taxpayers and job creators.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, political science, or a related field is preferred, and at least five years of government reporting experience.
To apply, please send resume and writing samples Dan McCaleb, executive editor, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.